Digital Panel Meters Overview
Laureate™ 1/8 DIN Digital Panel Meters, Counters, Timers, Remote Displays
Laureate™ Series Hardware Overview
The design of the Laureate™ Series is modular for maximum flexibility at minimum cost. The base configuration for a panel meter or counter consists of a main module (with computer and plug-in display boards), a power supply board, and a signal conditioner board. Optional plug-in boards include an isolated setpoint controller board, an isolated analog output board, and an isolated digital interface board. Modular design and a choice of plug-in options allow the Laureate to be customized for a broad range of applications from simple monitoring to control and computer interface. There can be up to five plug-in boards in a 1/8 DIN Laureate.
The main module (with computer and display boards) defines the Laureate series (DPM, weight meter, counter, or remote display), version (standard or extended), and LED display color (red or green). The number of digits is 5 for DPMs or 6 for counters, weight meters and remote displays. LED digits are 14.2 mm (0.56") high.
Power Supply Boards
Signal Conditioner Boards
Three input boards are selectable for counters: dual-channel pulse input, voltage-to-frequency converter for analog inputs, and quadrature for position or rate from encoder signals. Click on each link below to be linked to the appropriate web page:
- Frequency, period, rate (dual pulse inut channels A & B, 0.005 Hz to 1 MHz)
- Digital stopwatch (for single or accumulated events)
- Time interval meter (for average of periodic events)
- Power factor & phase angle meter (for AC signals)
- Duty cycle meter (or or off period as a percentage of total period)
- Up / down totalizer (with dual channels A & B, with external inputs for external control)
- Ratio, draw, channels A+B, A-B, AxB, A/B, A/B-1 (arithmetic operations on dual pulse input channels A & B)
- Batch controller (to control recurring fill operations from pulse inputs)
- Voltage-to-frequency converter (rate, total, batch control from analog inputs)
- Quadrature meter / controller (position or rate from encoder signals)
Relay Output Boards
Analog Output Boards
Serial Communication Boards
- Ethernet (with RJ45 connector for Ethernet cable)
- RS232 (with RJ11 connector)
- RS485 (with dual RJ11 connectors for daisy chaining)
- RS485 (with dual RJ45 connectors for daisy chaining)
- USB 2.0 (with USB Type B connector for connection to PC)
- USB-to-RS485 converter (with USB Type-B connector to PC & RJ11 connector to RS485 bus)
- Ethernet-to-RS485 converter (with RJ45 connector for Ethernet cable plus RJ11 connector to RS485 bus)
Designed for Industrial Use
All Laureates meters are housed in a compact and rugged 1/8 DIN case which fits in a standard 45 x 92 mm panel cutout and requires only 102 mm (4.0") behind the panel (plus connectors). The Laureate case is sealed to NEMA-4X (IP-65) requirements from the front when panel mounted to allow high-pressure wash-down. All power and signal connections are via detachable UL / IEC / CSA rated screw-clamp terminals, which are standard. Serial communications are via industry-standard connectors.
Easy Setup & Calibration
Laureate meters and counters are shipped by distributors fully configured, calibrated, and ready to run. All ranges of Laureate DC, AC and temperature meters are calibrated at the factory, with calibration factors stored in EEPROM. This allows different ranges to be selected via plug-in jumpers, with no need to recalibrate the meter for each new range. Programming can be from the front panel or by using powerful and easy-to-use Laureate Instrument Setup Software, which can be downloaded at no charge from our Software Download Page. This software can simplify setup whether the PC is connected to the instrument or not. Absolute calibration of Laureate panel meters requires temporary connection to an external calibrator and to a PC running Instrument Setup Software. System-level scale and offset calibration can also be from the front panel to produce specified readings from known signals, such as 4-20 mA = 0.00% to 100.00%.
Laureate Datalogging Software
Datalogging Software turns a PC connected to up to 31 Laureate instruments into a powerful, low-cost datalogging system. The Laureates can be any mix of digital panel meters and counters, excluding only remote displays. Data can be displayed on a computer screen in the form of up to 64 simulated panel meters, which can include virtual meters that show an arithmetic combination of meter readings or totalized readings, such as volume from flow rate. Data is can be captured on disk in the form of comma-delimited ASCII files for analysis and graphing by an external program such as MS Excel.
Datalogging Software is not required for use of Laureate products with a PC. Most people use the Modbus protocol or the simpler Laurel ASCII protocol to communicate directly and read and write memory addresses, as specified in Laurel's Modbus Communications Manual and ASCII Serial Communications Manual. Reading an writing memory addresses with custom software provides maximum speed and flexibility.