Laureate™ XLog™ Datalogging Software
PC-based data logging with Laurel meters and transmitters. Now works with Ethernet.
Works with Modbus RTU, Modbus ASCII, Modbus TCP, and Laurel ASCII protocols.
A flexible data logging system is created when a PC running Laurel's XLog datalogging software is connected to Laureate meters (DPMs, counters and timers) and transmitters. The logged data can be captured in the form of text files or directly by MS Excel. It can also be displayed by the PC in the form of up to 64 simulated panel meters in up to 4 groups (or screens) of up to 16 meters each. The on-screen position and appearance of individual meters is user selectable to achieve meaningful groupings. User settable parameters include the logging time interval in seconds and header data with or without time and date. Data files can be password protected. Please see datalogging software screens and our Datalogging Manual.
The data connection between the PC and the instruments can be via Ethernet, RS485, USB, or RS232.
- Ethernet connection: Up to 64 different instruments can be addressed and displayed. These can be any mix of meters with an LNET Ethernet interface board, meters with an LNET485 Ethernet-to-RS45 interface board, and DIN-rail mounted LTE series transmitters. The Ethernet-to-RS45 interface board supports its host meter plus another 30 RS485 enabled instruments on an RS485 bus. These can a mix of Laureate meters with an RS485 interace board and Laureate LT series transmitters, which come standard with an RS485 port. Automatic discovery of all instruments on the LAN and on each RS485 bus is achieved by Laurel's XLog Datalogging Software. With an Ethernet connection, remote instruments can be logged over the Internet.
- RS485 connection: Up to 31 actual instruments can be addressed on the same data line, and up to 64 instruments can be displayed, including 33 virtual instruments. The latter can show calculated parameters which combine data from multiple actual instruments. For example, a virtual meter can display watts, obtained by multiplying the current reading from one meter by the voltage reading from another meter. Available operands are multiply, divide, add and subtract. Parentheses allow complex expressions. The 31 actual instruments can be any mix of Laureate meters with an RS485 interface board plus Laureate LT series transmitters, which come standard with an RS485 port. Automatic discovery of all instruments on the RS485 bus is achieved by Laurel's XLog Datalogging Software.
- USB connection: The USB port of a PC can be connected to a single meter with a USB interface board. The USB standard specifies a maximum cable length of 5 meters. Up to 31 actual instruments plus 33 virtual instruments can be interfaced to a PC with a single USB port if the USB signal is converted to an RS485 signal. This can be achieved by our CBL06 adapter cable or by a USB-to-RS485 converter board in the first meter. The RS485 instruments can be a mix of Laureate meters with an RS485 interface board and Laureate LT series transmitters, which come standard with an RS232/485 port. Automatic discovery of all instruments on the RS485 bus is achieved by Laurel's XLog Datalogging Software.
- RS232 connection: RS232 is designed for a point-to-point connection and is suitable for datalogging with a single instrument connected to a PC COM port. The instrument can be a Laureate meter with an RS232 interface board or a Laureate LT series transmitter, which comes standard with an RS232/485 port.
(The instrument and PC must support the chosen interface)
Datalogging Software Installation
Set User Account Control (UAC) to "Never notify" so that Datalogging Software can create directories. The UAC change screen can be reached as follows:
- Under Windows 7, click on the Windows Start button in the lower left of the desktop and enter "UAC" in the search field.
- Under Windows 8, navigate to Control Panel, then to the "User Accounts and Family Safety" section, and click on "Change User Account Control Settings."
- Under Windows 10, click on the Windows Start button in the lower left of the desktop, then on "Settings", and enter "UAC" in the search field.
- Reboot your computer for the changed UAC setting to take effect.
Download Laureate XLog Datalogging Software from this website at no charge by clicking on the self-extracting file xlog1_1_0.exe. To install, double-click on the file and follow the on-screen instructions. See XLog sample screens and our Datalogging Manual.
Legacy Log Datalogging Software can be downloaded at no chage by clicking on the self-extracting file log5_0_0.exe. This older software is only recommended for existing applications, since it has a different file format, it can only be imported into Excel via ASCII files, and it is not Ethernet enabled. See Log sample screens.
Use of PC without Datalogging Software
Datalogging Software is not required for use of Laureate products with a PC. Most people use the Modbus protocol or the simpler Laurel ASCII protocol to communicate directly and read and write memory addresses, as specified in Laurel's Modbus Communications Manual and ASCII Serial Communications Manual. Reading an writing memory addresses with custom software provides maximum speed and flexibility.